My notes on what I have learned in the last two weeks for future use:
- To adopt an opaque mask ("sock puppet") on line may be considered misrepresentation or even fraud.
- Sockpuppetting and other norm violations may be exposed and punished by the norm police. Such punishment may, like any other group activity that feeds on itself, be taken to excess.
- Cyberstalking is a crime in most states.
- Voluntary site policies on harassment may be a good idea.
- Moderation in line with site policies is a good idea.
- In improving the morals of people other than yourself it is important to be earnest.
- Satire with sockpuppets is a Fool's errand. Oscar Wilde, one of the best ever at our noble trade, ended up doing time in Reading Goal. So, Tutor, you either behave yourself, or you are going right back into that dusty toybox where I found you.
As Morals Tutor to America's Wealthiest Families I am now off to Washington, DC, our nation's capital, where I will be speaking at Hudson Institute, a conservative think tank, on "Advising Benefactors: Giving Well,Doing Good." That is no laughing matter. There will be no sockuppets at Hudson. They don't allow it.